Bring back Always On!

Hello Replit,

I am totally fine with forks being mandated, no more comments, or forced hosting, but as a python coder, always on is a necessity. I have paid for Core (mainly because of the powerups) to be able to keep Gizmo, a discord bot, to keep on running on discord. It is a python discord bot, and without always on, I have to keep my poor Windows 11 always having that tab open!!!

Please bring back Always On, even if just for python.

Thanks,
Andrew Deng

4 Likes

Hi @AndrewDeng3 !
You can deploy your bot as a Reserved VM to host it. Replit probably won’t put back Always-On, as Deployments already exist.
Hope this helps!

2 Likes

Yeah but reservedVM costs money even with Core, always on didn’t.
I don’t really complete bounties or get tipped like you

The reason 24/7 repls are expensive is that they are easy to abuse (e.g. mining bitcoin)

1 Like

I don’t think so. Oracle cloud offers a 4 core 24gb ram vm for free. They will just terminate your repl if you mine bitcoin.

2 Likes

They undoubtedly will still do this, but obviously people still get away with it. Their reasoning for increasing the price of always on from 2 to 20 cycles a day was that it lead to a large loss of money due to being so easy to abuse. This happened even though repls where being terminated.

I see your point, handing out an always on 4 vCPU 8G ram VM for $20 a month isn’t profitable. Vultr, a pretty cheap VPS provider sells the same spec machine for $40 a month.