Best Coding Language

Not really, JS was created as a scripting language like PERL. They have evolved, but that is different from why languages like C, Java or Forth came about.

2 Likes

Welcome to the community @petonstepens !

I personally think the best coding language is Python (py)!

5 Likes

Why would that be? Personally love JS.

2 Likes

Sry, I can’t add it because you can’t edit a poll after 5 mins

1 Like

The poll has been closed and Python is the winner!!! 19/33 voted Python. :confetti_ball: :confetti_ball:
The whole leaderboard is as follows:

1. Python (19/33)
  2. Node.js (7/33)
  3. HTML/CSS/JavaScript (5/33)
  4. C# (2/33)
    =5. C++ (0/33)
    =5. C (0/33)
4 Likes

Didn’t see the poll… :headstone:

5 Likes

I’m surprised more people didn’t vote for HTML/CSS/JavaScript, its the traditional way of creating a website, and probably one of the more documented methods.

3 Likes

I did a bit of googling (technically yahooing because that’s what my new tab is for some reason and I don’t know how to change it) and it seems that scripting languages are interpreted, and programming languages are compiled

5 Likes

Well then I also said

Compiled vs interpreted is not too big of a difference (IMO, since Python can also be compiled (cxFreeze for instance) even tho by default it’s interpreted and something like Rust can be compiled (rustc) or interpreted (cargo run))
Also I was mostly refering to syntax and semantics.

3 Likes

Please do not compile python … it is crap. Just use a better suited language,

4 Likes

I know, it’s really an essential for people to know.

2 Likes

Long text you might not read:
I’ll agree with you on your sentence in parenthesis. Some people take these arguments on higher standards than the super bowl, or whether or not pineapples deserve to be on pizza or not, or if console or pc is better. The second someone says anything about c++ and you’ll have Rust enthusiasts coming to berate you from anywhere. Like we probably need to create an entirely separate area from DevRant just for the Programming languages themselves.

Reasoning:
After many years of arguing over which programming language is better, people have stated thousands of good points as to why certain languages are better. But why do we not discuss this with the same gusto as arguing over spoken languages? All programming languages are different, and each one is better at certain tasks or problems. Who is to say which one is better than the other?

At times it’s like comparing apples to oranges. The two programming languages may be able to complete the same goal. Apples can make apple juice and oranges can make orange juice. But then you can decide whether or not you want the orange juice with or without the pulp. And you can make a pie out of apples or oranges, but when was the last time you ate an orange pie? (I hope you understand where this analogy is going)

Thesis
So my final two-cents I’m going to put on this comment is…does it really matter?

6 Likes

Is node.js using js or a variation. What’s the difference between normal js and node.js?

1 Like

Basically, your browser has to interpret and run JavaScript. Google created what they call their V8 engine (open source) to do that and Ryan Dahl took that engine and made it so you can run JavaScript locally. NodeJS also has a different module system and has NPM ‘Node Package Manager’ which enables you easily download modules and use their functionality directly within NodeJS. NodeJS, being run on your desktop rather than your browser, also has many other abilities such as creating and hosting/running servers and interacting with the devices files and so much more.

1 Like

The main difference is that Node.js doesn’t have a graphical user interface (UI), so the Node.js version of the V8 JavaScript engine doesn’t require JavaScript features that manipulate graphics, whereas the web browser version of V8 needs those features. The Node.js version supports networking and server-related API layers that the web browser version of V8 doesn’t support.

Also node.js V8 is separate runtime environment that runs JavaScript on its own while browser based V8 engine is run inside web browser because of this there is probably a lot of chances under the hood that user wont see.

1 Like

Here are the main differences summarized.

1 Like

I personally recommend JavaScript that is primarily used for web development, both on the front end (client-side) and the back end (server-side). It enables interactivity and dynamic functionality on websites and has extensive support for frameworks like React, Angular, and Node.js. Other than that, you can check list of latest coding language from calculadora alicia and choose your passion accordingly.

3 Likes

no! I will not take any side

1 Like

tldr; does it really matter?

1 Like

Hi, I’m back :smiley: Learned a new lang over the summer. Rust ftw

5 Likes