Are you going to use the new IO testing?

Are you going to use the new IO testing? @LenaAtReplit announced here.

Are you going to use the new IO testing?
  • Yes
  • Mabey
  • Sometimes
  • Now

0 voters

If you have an idea for a future poll just dm me the idea.

1 Like

Hi, I’m planning to use Teams for Education for my upcoming class for Python programming, including the automated tests.
I think the IO testing is great for the simpler / beginner programs. Once the students can define functions, I’ll probably go for unit testing.

IO testing seems to work only for testing main.py, but not other programs in the same Repl. I was considering putting a few different exercises (scripts) in the same Repl, but IO testing would not be possible. I think it can be done with unit tests though.

3 Likes

I’ve been experiment with the new IO testing for my introductory python curriculum (using 2nd semester follow-up to the TEALS Intro CS course. Matching simple output works well and now I’m trying to figure out how to use regular expressions for more complex output matching. I could really use a tutorial on how to get started with using regex for IO testing. The brief example in the docs for Input/output testing got me started, but I could really use a deeper dive. :pray: :wink:

1 Like

IO Testing doesn’t work for everything. Sometimes IO is too variable or has too much back-and-forth between the user and the computer. It is good for lessons where the activity is focused, and the format of output is specified. I like the idea of junit, but I would like to use it for assessing student work. There is no brief introduction to it that I could find that aired out that use case. I notice the docs are mostly about self-testing.

Let’s say I told students to write an object with a specific name, say, myObject, with functions whose names are also specified. I could just write a small Java program myself with my own driver for that object. Could jUnit have more to offer?

1 Like