Always On Replit Process Stops

Problem description:
I have a python script that runs forever (reading email) using a while loop. 30-60 minutes after I log off my computer I come back at the process has stopped even though the Replit in Always On.

Expected behavior:
The Python process run forever until canceled.

Actual behavior:
Process stops 30-60 minutes.

Steps to reproduce:
Close laptop, come back in 30-60 minutes.

Bug appears at this link:
https://replit.com/@BrandonF7/CityHeadshots-Email-Assistant-Headshots

Browser/OS/Device:
Windows 11, Chrome version 112.

3 Likes

If I understand correctly, Always On Repls are not always on. What I have been told is that Always On means that as soon as the Repl goes to sleep (which happens frequently), Replit wakes it back up. This means that any processes your Repl was running have to start over, thus preventing a Repl from running indefinitely. I speak though only from what I have seen and read because I have the free plan.

6 Likes

basically, always on is like this:

• replit will have your repl on a whitelist of repls
  • all repls are shutdown after x amount of inactivity
  • if your repl is on the whitelist after like 5 minutes of downtime or whatever repl will reping it

it’s basically like one of those programming tricks to write less code except that the implications are that repls go down for a while even things like servers, databases, etc that need to be always on since they store data ;-;

4 Likes

Don’t you have the paid plan? I can’t remember if you do.

4 Likes

I do have paid plan why do you ask?

4 Likes

Ok, thanks for the information. Yes, I have a paid plan.
Replit should probably think about changing the name of the “Always On” option, since its not, you know, always on.

5 Likes

it’s always on. Barely. It’s marketed as always on but the true name is basically no booting because it basically saves the 15 seconds it would take to boot for the first user to turn it on ;-;

4 Likes

I think deployments are actually “always on” so you might want to try those.

3 Likes

Deployments don’t have persistent filesystems, and if they’re handling files, they probably need a persistent filesystem.

3 Likes