Add more languages

Describe your feature request
I want more languages like VBScript and Batch
What problem(s) would this feature solve?
More people using Replit; Being able to use more langauges
Explain what you were trying to do when you came across the problem leading to this feature request
nothing duh

1 Like

Since Replit runs on Linux and not Windows, Batch is probably out, maybe try Bash (blank repl)?

3 Likes

I don’t how to code using Batch or VBScript; I’m just suggesting an idea

1 Like

I’m fairly certain (could be wrong) that those are both Windows based, and wouldn’t work in the current setup Replit uses.

4 Likes

Well I’m telling Replit to add other languages too

1 Like

Replit would probably have to rework their entire system to add the languages you’re suggesting. That seems a bit overkill to me.

3 Likes

Replit uses NixOS, and you should be able to contribute your own languages by making a template!

5 Likes

But I have to learn how .nix and .replit files work if I want to do that

1 Like

You could install Wine in Replit, it would allow for you to run basically anything Windows-based on Linux (Nix).
Just open a new Repl (preferably Blank) and go into the Console and enter in wine. Select wine.out press Enter and then after waiting a little bit you should be able to do wineconsole cmd.

Information from here.

5 Likes

Wouldn’t Dockers achieve a similar goal?

1 Like

PowerShell is a better alternative for VBScript and Batch. There’s Visual Basic for a similar language.

5 Likes

Dockers? You mean docker? That does not really work in replit, as it requires root.

2 Likes

What about starting a blank repl

1 Like

I get the following when doing this:

Screenshot 2023-06-06 7.49.26 PM

2 Likes

Yeah. I found that out too, not really sure what it is and looking for a solution or alternative rn

2 Likes

Not sure if it’s changed, but last time I tried Wine only worked when disabling explorer mode.

1 Like

Welp, looks like they have VB already and batch can be ran using Wine soooo

1 Like

Oh, that reminds me, was a solution for wine ever found?

Found this post from a while ago that could help: Wine saying "Bad system call (core dumped)" on nix Repl - #2 by MattDESTROYER

2 Likes